Bringing Your Family

Request a Dependent Document

If your spouse or child(ren) will accompany you during your studies or for extended periods of time, they might qualify for a dependent visa (F-2 or J-2).

To request a dependent I-20 or DS-2019, submit the Dependent Document E-Forms in UA International:

  • Dependent Biographical Information E-Form: Upload copies of the passport biographical pages for your spouse and/or child(ren), a marriage certificate and certified English-translation (if necessary), and proof of relationship for your dependent children (such as a birth certificate or passport listing the names of the parents). J-2 dependents are also required to submit proof of health insurance that meets the regulations.

  • Proof of Funding E-Form: Upload financial documents showing enough funds to cover your own expenses for a year plus an additional $8,000 for your spouse and $5,000 for each child.  

If your dependent is currently outside of the U.S., check the U.S. consulate or embassy website for F-2 or J-2 visa application requirements. If your dependent is in the U.S. and would like to apply for a change of status with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), please schedule an appointment with an international student advisor for more information.

Part-Time Study for F-2 Dependents

F-2 children may engage in full-time study at the K-12 level (elementary, middle or high school). Effective May 2015, F-2 spouses and children may also enroll for less than a full course of study at a college, university or community college, even if that part-time study eventually leads to a degree or certificate.  The chart below explains how the University of Arizona defines less than a full course of study.

Degree LevelNumber of Units Allowed
F-2 Undergraduates
  • 11 units or less
F-2 Graduates
  • 8 units or less

  • 2 units (If only registered in 900 level)

  • 1 unit in Advanced Status is not allowed

F-2 dependents are prohibited from engaging in employment (paid or unpaid).

Read more at Study in the States.

J-2 Dependents

  • J-2 dependents can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS in order to be employed in the U.S. The employment cannot be for the purpose of supporting the J-1.  For more information, meet with an international student advisor.

  • J-2 dependents can study part-time or full-time.

  • J-2 dependents must carry health insurance at all times.  Read more about J-2 health insurance requirements.