Alien of Extraordinary Ability is a non-immigrant, employment-based status reserved for those who have reached a level of expertise indicating that they are one of the small percentages who have risen to the very top of their field of endeavor.
Advisory Opinion from a Peer Group
Can the FN obtain an Advisory Opinion from a peer group?
A peer group is a person with expertise in the FN’s field or a group/organization composed of practitioners in the FN’s occupation/field of extraordinary ability.
An acceptable Advisory Opinion describes the alien’s ability/achievements in the field, duties to be performed & whether the position requires someone of extraordinary ability.
Can the FN document national or international acclaim in their field?
The FN must be able to provide substantial evidence demonstrating their extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business or athletics. The FN must be able to present evidence that they satisfy at least three (3) of the required eight (8) criteria in addition to being either nationally or internationally recognized in their field.
To show national or international acclaim as an O-1 Alien of Extraordinary Ability, the FN must present evidence of at least three (3) of the eight (8) criteria listed below:
- Receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards;
- Memberships requiring outstanding achievements;
- Published material about the alien, relating to the alien’s work. Includes title, date, author, and any translations;
- Participation as a judge of the work of others in the same/allied field, i.e.: referee, reviewer, etc.;
- Original scientific, scholarly, . . . contributions of major significance in the field (6-10 expert letters);
- Authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional journals, or other major media;
- Employed in a critical or essential capacity for organizations or establishments that have a distinguished reputation; and/or
- Commanded or will command a high salary or other remuneration for services, evidenced by contracts or other reliable evidence.