Dear Family and Friends:
We are happy to hear your student is considering studying abroad as part of their academic experience! Studying abroad is a High Impact Practice, which means it has a positive correlation with student learning and retention. It opens up new doors for your student to experience the opportunities and benefits of a global network and skillset.
Students who study abroad report increased confidence, independence, adaptability, intercultural competence, and many other personal and professional skills, which are not necessarily part of a traditional classroom experience.
Here are our top reasons students should study abroad:
- With a little planning, students can stay on track or get ahead to graduate.
- Students can participate in opportunities outside the classroom, such as an internship, independent study, or research!
- Employers are more likely to hire students who have had global experiences.
- Study abroad provides an individualized experience! Your student can go abroad for a short-term experience or up to an academic year.
- Study abroad can help your student accomplish specific goals in a structured way.
But don’t take our word for it. You can check out the following resources for more information:
We are excited your student wants to develop as a global citizen, and we recognize the importance of support by family and friends in students’ educational journey. It isn’t easy being the parent of a young adult – and it can be tough to draw a neat line between guidance and 100% independence. With support from you and from their Study Abroad Coordinator, we can help your student maximize this opportunity while navigating any challenges that may arise and to take a proactive approach to set them up for success. As always, we are here to answer any questions you may have regarding study abroad!
Thank you in advance for your support!
UA Study Abroad Staff