UA Global Ambassador Program
The UA Global Ambassador Program is a leadership program for UA students who are interested in bridging cultures between international and domestic students and serving as ambassadors for the global community on campus. Global Ambassadors serve as leaders of the fall and spring International Orientation Program, coordinators of the Buddy Program and advocates of study abroad.
Good candidates include students who...
- Have prior experience living, traveling, or working abroad
- Are motivated by intercultural challenges and a desire to develop cultural self-awareness
- Are interested in connecting with the global community and engaging in globally relevant conversations
- Managing the Buddy Program
- Organizing and planning Buddy Program events
- Managing your assigned buddy group (10-20 international and domestic students)
- Promoting the Buddy Program and events
- Leading a small group of students through spring, fall, and summer international orientation
- Assisting with preparation of orientation materials
- Assisting with International Wildcat Airport Pick-Up
- Answering new student questions
- Helping new students navigate campus
- Study Abroad Outreach
- Leading classroom presentations on UA's study abroad programs
- Writing blog posts about personal travel experiences
- Promoting study abroad programs at UA events
- Participating in UA Global events
- These may include: International Student Talent Show, International Education Week events, Study Abroad Fair, Study Abroad Photo Contest, etc.
- Other projects as assigned
- Attending bi-weekly staff meetings and trainings (~8 total/semester)
- Completing required readings, reflections, and final projects
Required time commitment:
- Must be able to commit for full academic year (May 2019-May 2020)
- Must be able to attend bi-weekly staff meetings on Fridays from 7:45 AM - 8:45 AM
- Must be available for the following training and orientation days:
- May 10, 2019 (First Training Day)
- May - August (Summer Orientation Group ONLY)*
- August 8 - 22, 2019 (Orientation and Training)*
- August 13 - 22, 2019 (Orientation Commitment) **
- December 12, 2019 (Reading Day Training)
- January 9-14, 2020 (Orientation and Training)
*Global Ambassadors who are available and interested in working our summer orientation group will receive an additional $350 stipend. GAs must be available between May and August with at least 10-15 hours of availability a week.
**Due to the timing of our August orientation, applicants CANNOT be enrolled for in-person courses during Seven Week Second or Five Week Second Summer Sessions.
What are the benefits of getting involved?
- Stipend: $700/year (Sponsored students must speak to their program sponsor about receiving payment)
- Engagement notation (undergraduates) on transcript
- Global leadership training, cultural exchange and exploration
- Event planning, marketing and public speaking experience
- Creating a more global campus
- Making new friends from all over the world
Applications for the 2019-2020 Global Ambassador Program are now closed.
Students with international and/or intercultural experience are strongly encouraged to apply. The Global Ambassador Program is open to both international and domestic students as well as undergraduate and graduate students.
For further information, please contact Noelle Sallaz at email@example.com.
Global Ambassador Application
"Making new friends has been one of the biggest privileges of being involved in this program, some of the international students I have met have become some of my best friends. Spending time with these students I hope that they feel like they know at least one person to talk to or be friends with here at the U of A." - Nicole Grisamore, Global Ambassador 2015-2016
"I really appreciate the Global Ambassador Program because my interpersonal communication skill is enhanced significantly. In particular, I got a better understanding of different cultures, how to start a conversation with some not easy-going people. Additionally, I am even more confident to speak in front of public after one year's growth." - Joy Fan, Global Ambassador 2015-2016
"I myself, as an evolutionary biologist, always hold the belief that the greatness in mankind lies in that we are able to open to differences and make use of the difference to collaborate. Difference is the driving force to improve, embrace without judging is hard, however, will enable the fun revealing process of variations." - Monica Ge, Global Ambassador 2015-2016