Travel and Housing

This may be the first time that you travel outside of the country or apply for a visa. Read the following information to have your questions about travel and housing answered. 

Do I need a passport?

Yes! You can start the application process by reading the following information from the U.S. State Department. It can take 8-12 weeks to obtain your passport, so be sure to start the process early! You can apply for a passport on campus at UA Passports, located at 935 N. Tyndall Avenue. In most cases, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months (or longer) after your program end date. Be sure to check your country's laws regarding visas (if applicable).

What is a visa? Do I need one?

A student visa or residence permit is usually an entry stamp placed in your passport. This allows you entry into a foreign country to reside as a student. A student visa or residence permit is issued by the country's government prior to arrival. Visa requirements vary from country to country depending on the length of time and purpose of your stay. You will need to contact the nearest consulate for the country you will be visiting and ask about the visa requirements. Please check with your Study Abroad coordinator to inquire about whether your program requires a student visa or permit.

What if I am in the U.S. on a student visa?

If you are in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa, you should speak with your Study Abroad coordinator as well as the Office of International Student Services regarding your visa status in the U.S. prior to applying to a study abroad program. It is important to maintain your U.S. visa status.

Who makes the travel arrangements for my program?

UA Study Abroad does not arrange travel for the majority of its study abroad programs. If travel is included, it is indicated in the program description. In general, it is fairly easy (and usually cheaper) for students to make their own travel arrangements.

It is important to note the actual dates of your selected program, so that you arrive when your housing is ready and when the orientation begins. Also consider the possibility of traveling either before and after the program. Check with the travel agent or online company regarding ticket restrictions/conditions and change fees before you purchase a ticket. You may need to show proof of a return flight upon entry into your host country.

Where will I live?

Depending on the program, students may live with a host family, in residence halls, or in apartments. Some programs offer several options from which to choose. Check the program page for your program to see your options. If you are going on an exchange or direct enroll program, you may work directly with the foreign university to apply for housing if living on campus.

Should I make a copy of my passport and visa and leave the copies with my parents or another relative?

Yes! Please leave copies of your important documents, including program dates and information, passport, visa, etc, with a trusted friend or family member. It is also highly recommended that you keep a trusted friend or family member of your travel plans, especially if they include trips outside the host city or country.