University of Alberta Research Experience (UARE)
|Term||App Deadline||Start Date||End Date||Cost|
- Language of Instruction
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Class Eligibility
- Junior, Senior
- Program Open To
- UA Students
- Credit Type
- UA Direct Credit
- Level of Study
- Housing Options
- Program Type
The University of Alberta Research Experience (UARE) is a research internship program allowing top senior undergraduate students from key partner universities to conduct research at UAlberta under the supervision of faculty members who are experts in their field.
The UARE provides a unique opportunity for talented senior undergraduate students from key partner universities around the world to conduct research under the supervision of faculty members who are experts in their field. Students gain hands-on research experience working under an expert in their academic discipline and receive a stipend of $6,000 CAD ($4,500 USD), which will cover the costs associated with living in Edmonton during the 12 week program.
** UARE participants receive a cheque for 4000CAD (minus 128CAD for health insurance) upon arrival to the U of Alberta International office. A second payment for 2000CAD is deposited into their Canadian bank account no later than 6 weeks into their internship. Students are responsible for securing housing themselves. There is normally one on-campus housing option in Lister Centre available from the beginning of May until mid-August.
** Students work a maximum number of 40 hours per week. The exact number of hours per week depends on the supervising professor
University of Alberta International provides interns with full support for before, during and after their placement. Each intern is offered the following:
- A one-on-one orientation
- Professional development seminars
- Academic networking opportunities
- An opportunity to present their research during a poster symposium
- Each intern also has the option to participate in the following activities:
- Trips to the Canadian Rocky Mountains (Banff, Jasper)
- Weekly social programming
- Cultural events offered in Canada's "Festival City"
** Note: since it's an exchange program between UA and U Alberta, you need to apply through UA and apply to U Alberta.
Within a vibrant and supportive learning environment, the University of Alberta discovers, disseminates, and applies new knowledge through teaching and learning, research and creative activity, community involvement, and partnerships. The U of A gives a national and international voice to innovation in our province, taking a lead role in placing Canada at the global forefront.
Links of Interest
- Please see more information here about the University of Alberta Research Experience (UA promotes the summer only option due to calendaring conflicts with other sessions)
- Important date: https://www.ualberta.ca/admissions-programs/visiting-student-and-internship-programs/research-internships/ualberta-research-experience/important-dates
- University of Alberta Research Experience video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hKLlkLMVwU
** Please be advised that the U Alberta does not handle housing; however, once you are accepted into the program, you will receive a handbook on specific info on housing.