FUBIS - Berlin (Direct Enroll)
|Term||App Deadline||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||April 15||early June||mid July|
- Language of Instruction
- English, German
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Class Eligibility
- Freshman, Junior, Senior, Sophomore
- Program Open To
- UA Students
- Credit Type
- Transfer Credit
- Level of Study
- Housing Options
- Apartment, Homestay, Residence Hall
- Program Type
- Direct Enroll
FUBiS is a study abroad option offered in the summer in conjunction with the Freie Universität Berlin specifically for international students who wish to study in Berlin but who have not yet taken 3-4 semesters of college level German. FUBiS Term II and III align with the US summer term. FUBiS offers off-campus accommodation for the duration of the program. Students can choose to live in student dorms, single apartments or a host family.
Please be aware, there are two separate applications students must complete to be considered for this program. Students must submit an application to the U of A and directly to FUBiS by the application deadline.
- Term II: June 2 – July 14, 2018 (registration open until May 5, 2018)
- Term III: July 21 – August 18, 2018 (registration open until June 23, 2018)
If you are interested in studying in Berlin, but have not taken 4 semesters of German, FUBiS is an excellent option. FUBIS provides a sense of the reunified Germany and the challenges of the post-Cold War era in a fast-changing Europe. This is not part of the exchange program, but is an affordable study abroad option that offers intensive and semi-intensive German language instruction, as well as courses in history, politics, language and culture taught in English.
FUBiS is an option for students interested in studying in Berlin for the summer. See their website for exact program costs and more information.
Berlin is one of the most influential and historically significant cities in Western Europe. Every region in Berlin has something special to offer, from the rich cultural mix to state-of-the-art architectural marvels to unforgettable museums, theaters, and social gatherings. Berlin is the ideal city for students seeking the hustle and bustle of a cosmopolitan experience in a remarkable university.
FUBiS will help students arrange for housing in Berlin during the program. Students can choose among various housing options, including single rooms at the student dorm, single apartments and homestays. It is best to expect to spend about 600 to 700 Euro per month for general living expenses.
Links of Interest
To find the estimated costs of these programs, follow these steps:
- Go to FUBIS's website, The website has direct access to tuition fees
- Look over the expense items listed under "Program Fees" and "Expenses" and tally up expenses from BOTH, converting the currency from Euro to US Dollars (suggested currency converter: XE-Converter).
- Last, also add to the total expenses the Study Abroad Fee of $600, health insurance ($80 Semester/$160 Academic Year), and the costs of airfare to TIU (~$1,300).