FU-BEST Berlin (Direct Enroll)
|Term||App Deadline||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||April 1||late August||mid December|
|Spring||November 1||early February||mid May|
- Language of Instruction
- English, German
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Class Eligibility
- Graduate, Junior, Senior, Sophomore
- Program Open To
- UA Students
- Credit Type
- Transfer Credit
- Level of Study
- Graduate, Undergraduate
- Housing Options
- Apartment, Homestay
- Program Type
- Direct Enroll
FU-BEST is a study abroad option offered in fall and spring semester in conjunction with the Freie Universität Berlin specifically for international students who wish to study in Berlin but who have not yet taken 3-4 semesters of college level German. Semesters align with the US semester calendar.
Please be aware, there are two separate applications students must complete to be considered for this program. Students must submit an application to the U of A and directly to FU-Best by the application deadline.
If you are interested in studying in Berlin, but have not taken 4 semesters of German, FU-BEST (Berlin European Studies Program) is an excellent option. FU-BEST provides a sense of the reunified Germany and the challenges of the post-Cold War era in a fast-changing Europe. This is an affordable study abroad option to study German language, at the same time as history, politics, and culture primarily in English.
The semesters for FU-BEST are also set on the U.S. semester schedule from September to December and February to May, so students can attend in both fall and spring semesters.
Berlin is one of the most influential and historically significant cities in Western Europe. Every region in Berlin has something special to offer, from the rich cultural mix to state-of-the-art architectural marvels to unforgettable museums, theaters, and social gatherings. Berlin is the ideal city for students seeking the hustle and bustle of a cosmopolitan experience in a remarkable university.
Students choose between studio apartments or homestays. Housing is included in our Program Fee.
Links of Interest
To find the estimated costs of these programs, follow these steps:
- Go to FU-BEST's website, with the mouse hovering over "Fees & Admission", click on "Fees" on the top of the page.
- Look over the expense items listed under "Program Fees" and "Expenses" and tally up expenses from BOTH, converting the currency from Euro to US Dollars (suggested currency converter: XE-Converter).
- Last, also add to the total expenses the Study Abroad Fee of $1,500, health insurance ($80 Semester/$160 Academic Year), and the costs of airfare to FU-BEST(~$1,300).