Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education (BSME)
|Term||App Deadline||Start Date||End Date|
- Language of Instruction
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Class Eligibility
- Freshman, Graduate, Junior, Senior, Sophomore
- Program Open To
- UA and Non-UA Students
- Credit Type
- Transfer Credit
- Level of Study
- Graduate, Undergraduate
- Housing Options
- Apartment, Homestay
- Program Type
- Third-party provider
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education (BSME) is a study abroad program in Budapest, Hungary, designed for undergraduates and recent graduates interested in the learning and teaching of secondary mathematics. BSME was conceived by the founders of Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM), and the two programs share a common goal—to experience the mathematical and general culture of Hungary. BSME is specifically intended for those who are not only passionate about mathematics, but also the teaching of mathematics.
BSME offers complementary experiences that support participants’ understanding of the learning and teaching of mathematics. Our academic program includes the following components:
- Mathematics education courses that focus on the Hungarian approach: includes field experience through the Practicum course.
- Directed research in mathematics education.
- Internships in mathematics education for additional teaching experiences.
- Mathematics courses from the BSM catalogue.
- Courses in humanities, language, and/or culture that are cross-listed with BSME.
Participants may also choose to take courses outside of BSME offerings.