Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM)
|Term||App Deadline||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||October 1||Mid-January||Late May|
|Summer||February 15||Early June||Early August|
- Language of Instruction
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Class Eligibility
- Junior, Senior, Sophomore
- Program Open To
- UA Students
- Credit Type
- Transfer Credit
- Level of Study
- Housing Options
- Program Type
- Third-party provider
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM) provides a unique opportunity for North American undergraduates. Through this program, mathematics and computer science majors in their junior/senior years may spend fall, spring or summer semester in Budapest and study under the tutelage of eminent Hungarian scholar-teachers. The instructors of BSM are members of Eötvös University, the Mathematical Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and Budapest University of Technology and Economics, the three institutions known for having educated more than half of Hungary’s highly acclaimed mathematicians.
- Course offerings combine standard upper-level courses with courses in areas of traditional strength of Hungarian mathematics, such as combinatorics, number theory, and probability theory.
- Classes stress problem solving, foster student creativity, and support group learning
- A wide variety of mathematical courses offered
- Many courses offered in intermediate and advanced levels.
BSM is very mathematically rigorous and acceptance to the program is highly competitive (average of 3.7 GPA)
- Students must have had completed one semester of Real Analysis (a first course in the Theory of Analysis) or Abstract Algebra by the start of the program.
Students will be housed in furnished apartments approved by BSM. Lodging is arranged by our Hungarian BSM Staff along with roommate assignments upon completion of your BSM Housing/Roommate form after acceptance.
**More information about housing.
Links of Interest
A member of the European Union, Hungary developed its distinctive culture over a thousand-year history, blending influences from East and West. Budapest is the capital of Hungary with population of 2 million. It is a beautiful historical city, with one of the most vibrant cultures in Europe. Famous for its graceful bridges, green parks, and delicious food, Budapest is a remarkably safe and pleasant place.