Photo & Video Contest
The University of Arizona Study Abroad Photo and Video Contest is your chance to visually share your study abroad experience with the world.
Eligibility: Must be a UA student who participated in a study abroad program between August 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018.
Deadline for submissions: January 6 at 11:59 PM Arizona Time
- Cultural Snapshot: Photos that provide a sense of the local culture, people, customs, and traditions
- Landscape/Nature: Photos of architecture, scenery, and landmarks (can include people)
- School Spirit: Photos that show Wildcat pride through wearing the UA logo or other demonstrations of school spirit while abroad
- Learn Everywhere: Photos of learning and academic experiences in an international context. For example, showcasing a lecture at a historic site or participating in fieldwork
- Grand Prize: Will be selected from the above categories
Photo Submission Instructions:
- All photos must be submitted via Instagram by January 6 at 11:59 PM Arizona Time
- To submit photos via Instagram for consideration:
- Follow us on Instagram (@uastudyabroad)
- Tag the photos you want to submit with @uastudyabroad, the hashtag #wildcatsabroad, and a short explanation of your experience
- Please note: Only high-res images will be selected as finalists and/or winners.
Video Submission Instructions:
- Videos must be narrated, and tell a story about your study abroad experience
- Here is how to tell a great story
- Here is a step by step guide to telling a story through a video
- You can tell any story you would like about your time abroad, but we would suggest that you focus on an experience that you had that changed you as a person
- Must be between 2 – 5 minutes in length
Awards from our sponsor: CEA Study Abroad
- $200 flight voucher for each of the photo category winners
- $700 flight voucher for the grand prize photo winner
- $700 flight voucher for the grand prize video winner
All photos and videos must be appropriate and non-offensive (e.g. no alcohol or nudity)
- Photo contest judging process:
- Photos submitted via Instagram will be categorized by UA Study Abroad staff into one of the four photo categories (School Spirit, Landscape/Nature, Cultural, Snapshot, Learn Everywhere)
- Judges with visual design and study abroad experience will select semi-finalists who will be notified of their selection and further instructions via Instagram DM on an ongoing basis until the deadline of January 6 at 11:59 PM Arizona Time
- In order to be eligible to win, all semi-finalists will need to submit their original photo from their phone or camera (the largest image possible) by no later than January 7 at 11:59PM Arizona Time
- Finalists whom the judges select will be notified via email and DM on January 11
- The photo finalists within each category will compete for the most “likes” on UA Study Abroad Instagram starting January 14
- The photo with the most likes at the end of each 24-hour period (NOON Arizona Time – 11:59AM Arizona Time the following day) will win the category
- On the last day, the winners of each category will compete against one another for the most “likes” for the Grand Prize
- Video contest judging process:
- Video submissions will be judged by a panel of three UA faculty/staff with visual design and study abroad experience
- Judges will evaluate submissions based on visual aesthetics and the ability of the student to tell a compelling story about their study abroad experience
- Helpful hint to address in your video: How did your study abroad experience change you?
Photo/video release, display and use:
- All finalist and award winning photos will be displayed on the UA mall in tents from January 23-24
- By submitting a photo(s) and/or video(s) to this contest you grant permission to the University of Arizona to use the photograph(s) or video(s) in university publications including, but not limited to, study abroad brochures, websites, social media, newsletters, and other marketing/promotional materials without requesting additional permission.
- The use of third-party apps will immediately disqualify entries.
- Suspicious accounts (bots) who vote for photos will disqualify entries.
- Any other suspicious behavior will disqualify entries at the authority of UA Study Abroad.