Non-UA Procedures

What's the process for applying?

Applying for a study abroad program is an exciting process but there are many things to prepare for during that process. Below are some guidelines to help you prepare and apply to a UA study abroad program.

1.  Research your program options.

2.  Contact a study abroad coordinator for advising and planning assistance.

3.  Meet with your current academic advisor (at your home university) to discuss how your earned units will apply toward your major/minor. You will receive a University of Arizona transcript for all of the faculty-led programs, which receive UA credit for coursework; however, you want to be sure that your home institution will accept these credits.

4.  Apply early! Each program has a different deadline so please look at the program webpage for the exact deadline.

5.  As soon as you select a program, complete the online application (linked from the program page). When prompted to put in your UA ID for the application fee, write 'non-ua student' in the ID field box. 

6. You will also need to complete the UA non-degree seeking application, which is available in your online application. This application will be an extra fee of $50.00 (undergraduate AZ resident), $80.00 (undergraduate non-AZ resident), $85.00 (undergraduate international student) or $45.00 (graduate). You must be admitted as a non-degree student to the University of Arizona in order to pay for your program fees and to receive an official transcript at the conclusion of the program. *International Graduate Nondegree Seeking Students must meet UA's English proficiency requirements here

7.  Plan your finances. Contact the financial aid office at your home institution to discuss specific financial aid options. Many universities will allow you to use your current financial aid, but you may need to initiate a consortium agreement with your home institution. Just let your UA study abroad coordinator know if you need any help or assistance.

8.  Once you are admitted to the UA as a non-degree seeking student, you will receive a UA Student ID (SID) and PIN. These numbers will be sent to you in the mail to your permanent home address about 4 weeks after submitting your application. Once you have a UA SID and PIN, you will be able to create a UA NetID and gain access to your UA student account (called UAccess) so that you can make online program payments and see your UA transcript.

9.  Since you are not physically on the UA campus, your UA study abroad coordinator is happy to review what you need to know in preparing to go abroad. In addition, make sure you have sorted out all that needs to be done with your home university prior to departure.

10.  Keep in touch on a regular basis with your UA study abroad coordinator for updates on the program, payment information and any other questions you may have.