Financial Aid and UA Scholarships
FAFSA (federal grants and loans) CAN be used for study abroad. This includes the Pell Grant, University Grant, Arizona Assurance, subsidized loans, unsubsidized loans, and the Parent PLUS loan.
Please note - Arizona Assurance can be utilized only toward direct credit programming.
Most UA merit-based scholarships or tuition waivers cannot be used for studying abroad. UA Study Abroad will work with the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) to ensure that those scholarships/waivers are automatically deferred while you are abroad, but please confirm with Financial Aid as to whether or not your specific scholarship is applicable. Qualified Tuition Reduction (QTR) for faculty, staff and dependents is not valid for study abroad. Additionally, students cannot use payment plans to pay for study abroad.
Scholarships eligible to be utilized while studying abroad include:
- One-time $1,500 study abroad award for eligible students who have a National Merit Finalist, National Hispanic or National Achievement Tuition Award. The tuition award may not be used while abroad, but will be deferred. Review the Terms and Conditions for details on deferments at the UA Scholarships website.
- Flinn Foundation Scholars
- Baird Foundation Scholars
- Dorrance Foundation Scholars
- Some private non-UA scholarships (consult with donors)
Summer Study Abroad
All students participating in a summer study abroad program should have a current FAFSA on file if they need financial aid. Study Abroad will communicate with the Financial Aid office regarding summer program enrollments. Aid is distributed to qualified students on a first-come, first-served basis.
Scholarship Universe is a UA developed web database that automatically lists all scholarships that you are eligible for based on a profile that you submit. This is a great tool in general to find scholarships for your university education, but also to find specific scholarships for studying abroad.