If you were at least 16 years old when your previous U.S. Passport Book and/or Card was issued, you may be eligible to use the DS-82 form to renew your passport through the mail, which saves you the $35 execution fee charged when you apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility.
Do You Qualify?
To qualify to use the DS-82 Renewal by Mail form, you must be able to answer yes to all the following questions*:
- Can you submit your most recent passport book and/or card?
- Were you at least 16 years old when your most recent passport book and/or card was issued?
- Was your most recent passport book and/or card issued 15 years ago or less?
- Was your most recent passport book and/or card a full 10-year validity passport?
- Is your name the same now as it was when your most recent passport book and/or card was issued?
- If your name is NOT the same now, can you provide proper documentation of your name change via court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.?
*Even if you meet all the criteria above, you cannot submit a DS-82 Renewal by Mail if your most recent passport book and/or card was either LOST or DAMAGED. If your precious passport book and/or card was lost or damaged, you must apply in person using the DS-11 Passport Application.
If You Qualify
If you qualify to use the DS-82 Renewal by Mail form, complete the PDF form online at travel.state.gov. Print the application, and follow the included mailing instructions. Passport Acceptance Facilities, such as UA Passports, are unable to process your DS-82 application.
If You Do Not Qualify
If you do not qualify or would prefer to apply in person at UA Passports, please complete the DS-11 Passport Application instead. A $35 execution fee is assessed for all DS-11 Passport Applications. The processing time for your application will be the same with either application. Both the DS-82 and the DS-11 application can be expedited for faster processing.
For more information, please visit the U.S. Department of State website at travel.state.gov or call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.