Arranging your finances is usually a top concern for students. Read below for important information on paying for your program.

How do I pay for my study abroad program fees?

All students will be charged the application fee to their UA Bursar account, except for students going on third-party provider programs (other than CEA).

  • Faculty led programs: You will pay for your study abroad program and fees through your Bursar account. (If you are a non-UA student going on a UA study abroad program, then you will do this as well. You will need your UA SID and PIN to access your UAccess and Bursar account). Your study abroad program fees will appear on your UA student account in accordance with the Bursar's Office's tuition billing timeline.
  • Exchange programs: You will pay the program charge equal to UA tuition (based on your Arizona residency status) to your Bursar account. Any out of pocket expenses, such as room and board, will be paid in your host country.
  • Direct Enroll programs: You will pay your study abroad program fee to your UA Bursar account. Your tuition and additional program charges will be billed directly to you by your host institution.
  • Third-party Programs (except CEA): You will pay a your study abroad program fees to your UA Bursar account. Your application fee and program charges will be billed directly to you by the third-party provider.
  • CEA Programs: You will pay the program deposit and program fee advertised on CEA's webpage to your Bursar's account. Any out of pocket expenses, such as meals and flight, will be paid on your own.

When is the payment deadline?

All program charges will follow the Bursar's billing timeline and students can view the payment deadline in their UAccess account.

For further details regarding Study Abroad payment deadlines and policies, go to the Financial Information page. 

I plan on using financial aid (Pell Grant, Stafford Loan, etc.) to pay for all or part of my study abroad program. What do I need to do?

Complete the FAFSA and be sure to accept your financial aid loans and grants for the term you plan to be abroad. Your UA financial aid will be disbursed to your UA student account approximately one week prior to the beginning of the regular UA term start date.  (This is based on the regular UA calendar, not on your study abroad program start date.)  Remember that any fees which are not covered by federal financial aid must be paid before the Bursar's due date or late fees will apply. 

I need to cancel from my program. What is your cancelation and tuition/fee refund policy?

If you are considering cancelling from your program for any reason, you MUST contact your Study Abroad Coordinator ASAP.

Please carefully read the UA Study Abroad Withdrawal and Refund Policy that you completed as part of your application, as it varies by program type. You can also access this information on our Financial Information page. 

Cancelations or withdrawals are final only after a student completes the following form: Study Abroad Withdrawal Form

How will I get cash while I am abroad?  Can I use my debit card?

It is important to have at least 3 forms of "money" at all times, just in case some options cannot be accessed.  The most common forms of "money" are debit cards, credit cards, cash (US or foreign), and local bank accounts.  What you choose to use is dependent upon how long you will be staying and where you will be going.

If you have a major debit card (Visa or Master Card), there are ATMs in major (and lots of minor) cities in the world. Withdrawing money using your debit card is a lot more cost-effective than making wire transfers and safer than bringing a lot of cash with you. If you plan to withdraw money from a U.S. bank account, make sure that there are ATMs in your host city which are on NYCE, PLUS, or CIRRUS. Also, make sure to notify your bank before you leave home as your bank may put a hold on your card if they see unusual card activity. Be aware that the ATM machines may charge a high usage fee and may not always reliable (especially in developing countries).

In addition to using your debit card to withdraw cash, many students use credit cards. Credit cards often give you the best exchange rates, though many small restaurants, stores, and cafes may not accept them. Make sure to find out which card is most commonly accepted in your host country. Again, consult with your credit card company before you leave home to avoid account holds, which may be activated due to unusually activity on your card. Be aware that credit card fraud is a reality all over the world. 

Can I work while I am studying abroad?

Some countries will allow you to work part-time on a student visa. However, UA Study Abroad encourages students to focus on their full-time studies. The labor laws of many countries may not allow you to work while you are in their country, so it is important to know the laws regarding your student visa (if applicable) and to be realistic about the time and commitment working abroad may take.