American University in Cairo Summer School (Direct Enroll)
|Term||App Deadline||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||March 15||early June||late July|
- Language of Instruction
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Class Eligibility
- Junior, Senior, Sophomore
- Program Open To
- UA Students
- Credit Type
- Transfer Credit
- Level of Study
- Housing Options
- Program Type
- Direct Enroll
ALI hosts one of the most acclaimed intensive Arabic language programs in the Arab world. Its distinctiveness lies in the great diversity of its course offerings, the high caliber of its faculty and its excellent faculty-to-student ratio.
Students are taught Arabic in an integrated, proficiency-oriented program. The program accommodates students at all levels of language proficiency and tailors courses to address their specific purposes. The courses offered are skill-based, focusing on reading, writing, speaking and listening, as well as content-based, using media, political texts, business, literature, etc.
An integral part of the intensive program is the cultural dimension. The program includes tours and trips to major Pharaonic, Christian and Islamic monuments inside and outside of Cairo, as well as excursions to local archaeological sites and museums. The visits supplement the coursework and are led by professional guides. ALI subsidizes a large portion of the expenses of this component. The program also includes extracurricular activities including calligraphy, music, Quranic studies, community engagement and more.
The Department of Arabic Language Instruction (ALI) offers an intensive summer program from the first week of June until the last week of July. Students must take 20 hours of class per week to be considered full time. Courses are offered at the beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. The ALI summer program offers tailored courses, subject to the availability of resources. A number of electives are also offered, from which each student may take up to two (based on their levels).
- Modern Standard Arabic: The language of the media, literature, science and formal fields of contemporary knowledge
- Egyptian Spoken Arabic: The language of everyday interaction and daily living
- Academic electives including translation, the Qur’an and media for intermediate and advanced levels (one credit)
- Students receive six to eight credit hours in this program depending on their level
- Cultural components including calligraphy, music, singing and dancing (non-credit)
- Study aid centers
- ALI offers professional faculty, up-to-date facilities and extracurricular activities and the program welcomes non-native students as well as students of Arab origin.
Tuition fees for summer sessions (including fees for health insurance, student services and activities) are:
Deadline for receiving applications: April 1
Deadline for deposit($1000): May 1
Deadline for full payment: May 15
After these deadlines, applications on the waiting list will be considered.
Cairo is one of the most unique cities in the world. Where else can you visit the Giza Pyramids, shop at a modern art gallery and enjoy a meal on the Nile all in the same day? The largest city in Africa and the Middle East, Cairo has long served as the cultural, political and social capital of the Middle East. Today, Cairo boasts an exquisite opera house, a thriving arts scene, trendy cafes and plays, and a host to the Cairo International Film Festival each year.
AUC takes full advantage of the fact that it is located in one of the most dynamic cities in the world. The University takes inspiration from Cairo itself in its academic programs, using it as a site for learning and integrating it into the curriculum. Drawing heavily on Cairo as an extension of the classroom means AUC has students who are not only open and creative thinkers, but they are actively engaged in the society and the world around them.
Links of Interest
- AUC international student: http://www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/international-students
- Program activities: http://schools.aucegypt.edu/academics/ALI/ALIN/SummerProgram/Pages/Program-Activities.aspx
- Visas: http://schools.aucegypt.edu/academics/ALI/ALIN/SummerProgram/Pages/Visas.aspx
- RESIDENTIAL LIFE: http://www.aucegypt.edu/students/life/residential