Admitted Undergraduates

International Student Services (ISS) is here to support you throughout your entire time at the UA. Follow the tabs below from top to bottom to learn exactly how to start your academic and personal journey. We’ve provided everything you need to know – from immigration and housing details, to travel arrangements and orientation.

After Admission

Request Your I-20 or DS-2019

Now that you have been admitted, your next step is to request your I-20 or DS-2019 in UA International. You will need your UA NetID and password, so please create your UA NetID and password now. Your NetID is the personal identifier that you will use for your email address and logging into secure university websites. It will go before "" to become your UA email address. After you create your NetID, you must wait 48 hours before logging into UA International.

Upload your documents to UA International:

  • Passport biographical page

  • Funding documents (bank statements from checking or savings accounts or loan approval documents) for at least $53,404.00

  • Declaration of Support (for funding from family/friends)

If you are transferring your F-1 SEVIS record from a school in the United States, you must provide the name and email address of the designated school official (DSO) at your current or previous school. You can find your DSO's name printed on your current I-20 under "School Attestation." The SEVIS school code for the UA is PHO214F20092000.

If your spouse or children plan to join you in the United States as your F-2/J-2 dependents, you must submit copies of their passport biographical pages and proof of relationship such as a marriage certificate, birth certificate or passport listing the parents' names (for children).

When you submit your I-20 request, you should provide the mailing address for your admissions packet and I-20. The University of Arizona will mail your documents to you free of charge as soon as they are ready. You will receive an email with the tracking number when your documents have been sent.

Sponsored Students: Upload your documents in the Newly Admitted Sponsored Student Document Submission e-form. More information for sponsored students is available under Resources: Sponsored Students.

Students attending the UA in another status (not F-1 or J-1): Upload proof of status in the Immigration Documentation e-form.

Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee

After you receive your I-20/DS-2019 and before you apply for a visa, you must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee

Apply for a Student Visa

Locate a nearby U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a student visa. Learn how to apply for an F-1 Student visa or a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. After you apply, check your visa status onlineCitizens of Canada and Bermuda are exempt.

For more information, read 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Student Visa.

Complete the Placement Tests

Take the Math and Writing Placement Tests in the Next Steps Center by Tuesday, January 1, 2019 (if required – see below). If you do not take the placement tests by the deadline, you may not be able to enroll in writing or math courses during your first semester at the UA.


The Writing Placement Questionnaire is required for all incoming international students who intend to obtain a degree from the University of Arizona (including CESL students).

Students who have taken English 106, 107 or 108 in University Track do not need to take the Writing Questionnaire.

Students who are transferring from U.S. institutions must complete the Writing Placement Questionnaire (this is where you will be asked to report any previous English writing/composition courses you may have taken).

If you have questions about Writing Placement or First-Year Composition, please email


All freshman (first year) students are required to have a math placement through SAT I MSS, ACT MATH, or the ALEKS PPL Math Placement Test. Access the test through the Next Steps Center. Read through the Math Placement section of the Next Steps Center before testing.

Transfer students should read the information in the Math Placement section of the Next Steps Center to determine whether the test is required.

If you have college math credits from a school outside of Arizona, you need an evaluation. In the Math Placement section of the Next Steps Center click "Click here..." to submit your course information online. You can also bring your course information with you to orientation. You must provide official catalog course descriptions (not personal translations), even if you already sent them to the UA.  

If you are dissatisfied with your score you can retest when you arrive the UA. If you have questions about Math Placement, please email


Apply for Housing

The University of Arizona has two offices on campus dedicated to helping students find housing.

Residence Life assists students with undergraduate on-campus housing options. The Residence Life website includes information on choosing a hall, the selection and assignment process, and a special section for international students. If you wish to live on-campus, you must complete the application through the Next Steps Center.

Off-Campus Housing provides students with off-campus living options and resources. The OCH resource page contains sample budget spreadsheets, apartment checklists, roommate contracts, emergency contacts and other resources for international students (go to International Students under Resources for more information). 

Upload Your Immunization Records

All University of Arizona students are required to have proof of 2 Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccines. Medical records should be in English (translations are accepted) with legible dates that the MMR's were administered. 

Upload your medical records online in PatientLink on the Campus Health website.

If you do not submit your immunization records, there will be a hold on your account that prevents you from registering for classes during orientation.

Traveling to Tucson

Enter the United States

You can enter the United States up to 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20/DS-2019.

We recommend that you hand-carry the following documents to present at Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the U.S. Port of Entry:

  • I-20/DS-2019

  • Passport with valid visa (if applicable)

Entry to the U.S. is at the discretion of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and CBP may require you to go through Secondary Inspection and/or choose to inspect your electronic devices to further verify information. Since this may cause delays at your initial port of entry to the U.S., make sure you have enough travel time between any connecting flights.

Read more about entry to the U.S. on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website: Student Process Steps: How to Navigate the U.S. Immigration System.

Print Your I-94

Your entry to the United States is recorded by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. The I-94 records the date you entered the United States, your immigration status and the date your stay in the U.S. expires.

If you enter by air or sea, your I-94 record will be electronic. When you go through the port of entry, a CBP officer will stamp your passport. You can use the information from your passport to access your electronic I-94 record from U.S. Customs and Border Protection website. If you enter by land, CBP will stamp your passport and issue a paper I-94 in your passport.

You are required to carry evidence of your admission (entry) to the U.S. at all times. You can carry your passport with admission stamp, a print out of your electronic I-94, or your paper I-94 to satisfy this requirement.

Arrange Airport Transportation

The University of Arizona campus is about 10 miles from the Tucson International Airport and there are several transportation options.

Free Shuttle

ISS provides new international students with free airport pick-up service. A shuttle can take you from the Tucson International Airport to the UA campus or within a 10-mile radius of the UA. Free shuttle pickup is not available Friday evenings from 4:00 pm through Saturday 7:00 pm.

Sign-up Instructions


A taxi ride from Tucson International Airport to the UA will be approximately $25-$30. Most taxis will accept credit or debit cards in addition to cash. 

App Ride Services

Download Uber or Lyft to arrange for a ride service to the UA. If you have arranged a ride, you can meet your car and driver outside the Car Rental Facility, which is a short walk east from baggage claim. Cars and drivers do not wait at the stop but will arrive when ordered through the mobile app.

For other options, go to Tucson International Airport: Parking & Transportation.

Apply for Early Enrollment in the Student Health Insurance

The University of Arizona requires all international students registered for at least 1 unit to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan. You will be automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan after you register for classes.

Admit Term

Student Health Insurance Effective Date

Summer 2019 (beginning Summer I)

June 1, 2019

Fall 2019

August 16, 2019

If you will be in the United States before the effective date of the Student Health Insurance, we strongly recommend applying for early enrollment or purchasing private health insurance so you have coverage during the gap.

For students beginning in Fall 2019, Campus Health offers 2-week and 4-week early enrollment options.



Eligible Students

Deadline to Enroll

4-week coverage

July 19, 2019 – August 15, 2019

Available to students who arrive before August 2, 2019

July 19, 2019

2-week coverage

August 2, 2019 – August 15, 2019

Available to students who arrive on or after August 2, 2019

August 2, 2019

J-1 students are required to carry health insurance that meets the minimum coverage required by immigration regulations for J-1 Exchange Visitors at all times while in the U.S. (read more under J-1 Students: Health Insurance).

Download an overview of the mandatory insurance and temporary insurance ID card.


More information coming soon! Please check back in March 2019 for details.