Health and Safety

Your well-being and safety are important. Being aware of potential dangers and taking the appropriate precautions can help you to avoid problems both on and off campus. The city of Tucson is a safe place to live, but remember that your health and safety are your responsibility. Check the UA Campus Safety page for a comprehensive list of resources on student safety and well-being.

Health Resources

As an international student, regardless of visa type, you are required to purchase the UA-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, administered by Aetna Student Health. More information about the health insurance and its coverage can be found on the Campus Health website and in the Campus Health Presentation on UA Health Insurance.

To learn more about the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan watch the video below.

Campus Health: Comprehensive health center on-campus that provides the services below. Campus Health should be your first stop for non-emergency situations. If Campus Health is closed, you can go to Urgent Care, a type of walk-in clinic that can treat injuries or illnesses requiring immediate care, but not serious enough to require a hospital emergency room visit. If you are planning to meet with a medical professional, prepare questions beforehand, inform them of any medications you already take and ask questions if you do not understand.

  • Walk-in clinic for non-emergencies

  • Immunizations

  • Pharmacy

  • Counseling and Psych Services (CAPS) for students to help cope with personal problems such as anxiety, depression, family problems and alcohol and drug concerns

  • Sexual Health provides many resources for students to help them make healthy, responsible decisions about their sexual behavior.

Tucson Area Emergency and Urgent Care centers

If you need to print an insurance ID card, use the Print ID Guide on the Campus Health website. ID cards can be printed 1 week prior to the effective date of coverage, in most cases.


Request emergency assistance immediately by calling 911.

UA Police Department (UAPD): Police department responsible for UA campus. Read their safety tips to help you make life safer and more secure. Call 911 for any emergency requiring police, fire or medical assistance. For non-emergencies, call (520) 621-8273. UAPD also sells U-Locks for your bike. You can also register your bike in case it gets stolen.

City of Tucson Police Department

City of Tucson Fire Department

UAlert: A free service that delivers emergency alerts to your cell phone, mobile device and/or email account during a campus emergency. It is the most efficient way to receive notifications about critical incidents affecting the UA campuses. You must sign up for this service.

LiveSafe: A safety app that links students to emergency contacts.

SafeRide: This program offered by ASUA gives free rides to students, faculty, and their guests in the evening and nighttime as an alternative to walking alone at night.

SafeCats: An educational campaign that disperses information regarding safety on and off campus.

Oasis Sexual Assault, Relationship Violence and Trauma Services; Oasis services are located at CAPS. The Oasis counselor provides emotional support, counseling and referrals, as needed, for students who may have been victims of relationship violence, sexual assault or other related trauma.

Dean of Students Office: The Dean of Students Office provides programs regarding student health and safety.

Friend 2 Friend: Friend 2 Friend is a website where you can get information and advice to help a friend who might be experiencing problems (examples: drugs, alcohol, mental health, compulsive behaviors, self-injury, suicide, physical health, personal safety, food and body image, relationships and sex, or sexuality, etc).

Student Advocacy and Assistance: The Coordinators of Student Advocacy and Assistance seek to empower students to take a proactive role in exploring their own resolutions to challenging situations. They can provide 1-to-1 consultations with students who seek assistance regarding complex issues and crises that could affect their ability to remain successful.

What to do in an emergency

If you have or witness a medical or other type of emergency, call 911 immediately. If you don’t have your phone with you, you can use the phone in the emergency blue lights located throughout campus to call UAPD.

You can also obtain urgent medical advice when Campus Health is closed by calling the “After Hours” number (520) 570-7898. Check the Campus Health website for Tucson Area emergency and urgent care centers.

If you have an emergency that is not life-threatening, check the Campus Health page for walk-in hours or use PatientLink to schedule an appointment.



The UA Risk Management Services recommends that you follow these steps when calling to report an emergency:

  • Stay calm and keep others calm.

  • Identify yourself.

  • Carefully explain the problem and the location.

  • Remain on the phone until the dispatcher tells you to hang up—if you can’t stay on the phone, tell the dispatcher that you must leave and where you can be reached.

  • If you need translation services, let the operator know.