GLACIER Tax Prep and Tax Filing

GLACIER Tax Prep is now available for federal tax filing.

Tax Filing

All international students and scholars present in the U.S. during 2018 must file a tax form in 2019, regardless of whether or not you had employment. You can find descriptions of the different tax filing forms under "Forms for Federal Tax Filing" and resources for tax filing under "Resources" (below).

Tax Filing Deadlines

Nonresident Aliens:
  • April 15, 2019: F-1 or J-1 students and scholars with U.S. income must file Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR and Form 8843 before this deadline.

  • June 17, 2019: If you did not receive income in the U.S. during 2018, you must file Form 8843.

Resident Aliens:
  • April 15, 2019: You must file form 1040 or 1040-EZ


The University of Arizona provides free access to GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), a tax preparation software which will help complete forms for federal tax filing. GTP is a software program that will help nonresidents for tax purposes complete forms 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and 8843 for federal tax filing. You can find a resource for preparing your state tax return in the Resources for Tax Assistance section below.

You are not required to use GTP to prepare your federal tax forms; however, other software programs such as TurboTax are intended for residents for tax purposes. If you use one of these programs and you are not a resident for tax purposes, you could be filing an incorrect return. The University of Arizona does not provide tax advice and therefore disclaims all liability from the misinterpretation or misuse of GLACIER Tax Prep.

GTP does not have an online tax filing option.  You must print, sign, and mail your tax forms.

Accessing GLACIER Tax Prep

ScenarioHow to Access
You already have a GLACIER account because you have employment or receive payments from the UA.From your GLACIER account, select the option highlighted in green: "Complete my U.S. tax return using GLACIER Tax Prep."
You were in the U.S. in 2018 and do not have a GLACIER account because you do not have employment or receive payments from the UA.Log into UA International, and click on the GTP icon under “Insurance and Finances.”
You do not have a GLACIER account but you have employment or receive payments from the UA.Contact the UA Payroll Office to request access to GLACIER.

For more information about how to use GLACIER Tax Prep, watch the video: Welcome to GLACIER Tax Prep ("GTP") and read the GTP Frequently Asked Questions.

You can find more information about GTP under "GLACIER vs. GLACIER Tax Prep" (above).