Local Laws

As University of Arizona employees, we cannot provide legal advice. Please speak with ASUA Legal Services for additional information. ASUA Student Legal Services (SLS) is a free service offered to all currently enrolled UA students. You can receive a 30-minute consultation with a lawyer.

Driving and Traffic Laws

You must learn local traffic laws before driving. Observe all road signs, and know that going over the speed limit by even a little bit gives a police officer the right to pull you over. For a detailed explanation of Arizona motor vehicle laws, read the Arizona Department of Transportation Customer Service Guide and check the City of Tucson website.

Car Insurance and Registration

The state of Arizona requires that every motor vehicle be covered by insurance. If you are driving someone else’s car or renting a car, make sure your insurance includes this coverage. Keep a copy of your insurance and your registration in the car’s glovebox at all times and register your car annually.

Police Traffic Stops

If a police car wants you to pull over while driving, they will flash their  lights. Pull over onto the right shoulder as soon as you safely can. Remain in the vehicle and give the officer your driver’s license, international driver’s license, proof of insurance, and registration.

Traffic Accidents

Never leave the scene of an accident until you’ve made contact with any other affected drivers or, in some circumstances, the police—even if the accident isn’t your fault.

Driving Under the Influence

Arizona also has particularly strict laws regarding driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI). An arrest for a DUI could affect your immigration status; if you’re arrested for a DUI, contact a private attorney or a public defender immediately. If you can’t reach a lawyer yourself, ask your arresting officers to contact one for you.

Website Tracking

It’s simple: don’t use the dark web. Many of the activities on the dark web are illegal and your search history can be tracked. Under both U.S. federal and Arizona state law, many dark web activities are felonies, which are punishable by jail time and/or deportation.

Domestic Violence

In Arizona, domestic violence is defined as almost any criminal act of abuse (assault or battery, assault or battery with a weapon, criminal trespassing, disorderly conduct, threatening, kidnapping, witness intimidation, etc.) committed by one family or household member against another. Even roommates can be cited for domestic violence.

If you are in imminent danger, are seriously injured and need medical assistance, call 911 (even if you are on campus, calling 911 will connect you with law enforcement and emergency services).

If you are a UA student, faculty, or staff member, you can also contact OASIS Sexual Assault and Trauma Services at (520) 626-2051.

Hunting and Fishing

A valid Arizona hunting or fishing license is required for taking wildlife (including fish) in Arizona.

International students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are not eligible to establish domicile in the U.S. and should, generally speaking, not purchase an Arizona resident hunting license; however; please contact an attorney to verify what type of license might be appropriate for your specific situation.

More information on Arizona hunting and fishing license can be found in this Arizona Game and Fish department publication.

Drugs and Alcohol

Drinking Age

The legal drinking age in Arizona is 21. Be prepared to show a valid picture ID proving you are 21 or older when ordering (or possessing) alcoholic beverages at local drinking establishments. The same is true when drinking at a party in someone else’s apartment.

Tobacco-Free UA

The University of Arizona is smoke and tobacco free effective August 25, 2014. This policy applies to University students, faculty, employees, contractors, volunteers, and visitors on its campuses and in its vehicles. For more information, please visit Tobacco-Free UA.