J-1 Students

Health Insurance

You must have health insurance during your entire stay in the U.S as a J-1 student.  If you have dependents in the U.S on J-2 visas, they are also required to carry health insurance. Not carrying insurance that meets the minimum requirements is a violation of your status and can result in termination of your SEVIS record. 

Below are the minimum requirements that the health insurance plan for you and your dependents should meet according to the immigration regulations (22 C.F.R. § 62.14). These requirements are also explained on page 2 of the Form DS-2019.

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness

  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000

  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000

  • Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

J-1 Students: You will be insured through Campus Health. The coverage plan offered meets the minimum requirements. Information about the effective dates is available on the Campus Health website.

Dependents: J-2 spouses and children cannot be insured through Campus Health. You must purchase private insurance for them. When purchasing a private health insurance plan you must make sure it meets the requirements above. Most insurance plans do not include repatriation and medical evacuation, so you might have to purchase additional coverage. 

For informational purposes only, here are some examples of health insurance providers that offer plans tailored to international students. International Student Services (ISS) does not monitor these insurance companies or their plans. The coverage can change, so it is your responsibility to confirm that they offer the coverage you need before you purchase any plans.

On-Campus Employment

You must to request authorization from International Student Services (ISS) before you start employment. To request authorization submit the On-Campus Employment Authorization e-form in UA International.  After being approved, ISS will issue a J-1 Employment Authorization letter.  You must submit the letter to your UA employer so they can proceed with the hiring process.  You can be authorized for on-campus employment for up to 12 months at a time or until the end of your DS-2019, whichever occurs first. If you change employers, you must submit a new e-form.

You may work up to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters. During winter, spring and summer breaks, you are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week. However, UA policy limits students to 35 hours per week during official breaks.

Some off-campus locations are treated as on-campus sites if they are directly owned by the University of Arizona or have strong educational affiliation. If you are unsure whether your work site is considered on-campus, you should speak with an ISS advisor for clarification.

You are only eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) if you have on campus employment or authorization to work off campus. If you have on-campus employment, such as a student work position or graduate assistantship, we will provide instructions for how to apply for a SSN with your J-1 Employment Authorization letter. For more information go to Taxes: Social Security Number (SSN)

This information does not apply to J-1 student interns.

Academic Training

As a J-1 student you can apply for academic training in order to work off campus. Academic training must be approved by International Student Services (ISS) before you start employment.

Make an appointment with an ISS advisor and read the Academic Training Packet to find out if you are eligible and learn how to apply.