International CalendarStaff DirectoryLocations & MapTimezonesContact Us

J-1 Student Employment

Academic Training

Students may participate in academic training with or without wages or other remuneration during their studies with the approval of the academic dean or adviser and the International Student Services Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Officer at the University of Arizona.  Academic training is training related to a student's field of study.  For students requesting academic training after the completion of their degree program, the regulations state that a student may be authorized to participate in academic training "commencing not later than thirty (30) days after completion of his or her studies."  Please read the Academic Training Packet for detailed information, and discuss your options by scheduling an appointment with an International Student Advisor at least 3 months prior to degree completion.

On-Campus Employment

A J-1 student may engage in part-time employment when the following criteria and conditions are satisfied.  The student employment:

  • Is pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship; or occurs on the premises of the post-secondary accredited academic institution the visitor is authorized to attend.
  • The J-1 student must be in good academic standing to qualify for on-campus employment and continue to engage in a full course of study.  The on-campus employment totals no more than 20 hours per week during the academic semester.  For immigration purposes, during official school breaks and the student's annual vacation the on-campus employment is permitted up to 40 hours per week (university policy may restrict the number of hours per week if enrolled during the break, consult with your hiring manager for information about university policy).
  • The International Student Services Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Officer must approve the specific employment in advance and in writing.  J-1 students on UA-issued DS2019s must submit the J-1 Student Employment Authorization form to ISS to request written approval of on-campus employment.  After being approved by ISS, the student must submit the form to student's UA department so that they may proceed with the hiring process. Maximum authorization period is 12 months or end of DS2019, whichever occurs first. Student will need to submit new authorization form for continued employment or change of employment.

The information on this page does not apply to Exchange Visitors issued a DS2019 for the “Student Intern” category.  J-1 Student Interns should refer to the Student Intern Packet.