Health Insurance Requirements for J's

You must have health insurance during your entire stay in the U.S as a J-1 student.  If you have dependents in the U.S on J-2 visas, they are also required to carry health insurance. Not carrying insurance that meets the minimum requirements is a violation of your status and can result in termination of your SEVIS record. 

Below are the minimum requirements that the health insurance plan for you and your dependents should meet according to the immigration regulations (22 C.F.R. § 62.14). These requirements are also explained on page 2 of the Form DS-2019.

Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness

Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000

Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000

Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

J-1 Students: You will be insured through Campus Health. The coverage plan offered meets the minimum requirements. Information about the effective dates is available on the Campus Health website.

Dependents: J-2 spouses and children cannot be insured through Campus Health. You must purchase private insurance for them. When purchasing a private health insurance plan you must make sure it meets the requirements above. Most insurance plans do not include repatriation and medical evacuation, so you might have to purchase additional coverage. 

For informational purposes only, here are some examples of health insurance providers that offer plans tailored to international students. International Student Services (ISS) does not monitor these insurance companies or their plans. The coverage can change, so it is your responsibility to confirm that they offer the coverage you need before you purchase any plans.