Your entry to the United States is recorded by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. The I-94 records the date you entered the United States, your immigration status and the date your stay in the U.S. expires.

If you enter by air or sea, your I-94 record will be electronic. When you go through the port of entry, a CBP officer will stamp your passport. You can use the information from your passport to access your electronic I-94 record from U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.  If you are unable to access your I-94, please contact International Student Services for assistance.

If you enter by land (or if you entered by air or sea prior to May 2013), CBP will stamp your passport and issue a paper Form I-94 in your passport.

Every time you leave and reenter the U.S., you will be issued a new I-94 number (if you are returning to the U.S. through a land port of entry from a trip of less than 30 days you may keep the same I-94). Your travel history in and out of the U.S. is also available through the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

Duration of Status (“D/S”)

When you or your F-2/J-2 dependents enter the U.S. you will normally be admitted with duration of status (“D/S”) for the “admit until date.” This means that you can remain in the U.S. as long as you are maintaining your immigration status and your I-20 or DS-2019 has not expired.

If you are only granted temporary entry to the U.S. for 30 days (I-515A) instead of duration of status, you must meet with an international student advisor at ISS as soon as possible.

Requirement to Carry Proof of Admission

You are required to carry evidence of your admission (entry) to the U.S. at all times. You can carry your passport with admission stamp, a print out of your electronic I-94, or your paper I-94 to satisfy this requirement.