On-Campus Employment (J-1)

You must to request authorization from International Student Services (ISS) before you start employment. To request authorization submit the On-Campus Employment Authorization e-form in UA International.  After being approved, ISS will issue a J-1 Employment Authorization letter.  You must submit the letter to your UA employer so they can proceed with the hiring process.  You can be authorized for on-campus employment for up to 12 months at a time or until the end of your DS-2019, whichever occurs first. If you change employers, you must submit a new e-form.

You may work up to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters. During winter, spring and summer breaks, you are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week. However, UA policy limits students to 35 hours per week during official breaks.

Some off-campus locations are treated as on-campus sites if they are directly owned by the University of Arizona or have strong educational affiliation. If you are unsure whether your work site is considered on-campus, you should speak with an ISS advisor for clarification.

You are only eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) if you have on campus employment or authorization to work off campus. If you have on-campus employment, such as a student work position or graduate assistantship, we will provide instructions for how to apply for a SSN with your J-1 Employment Authorization letter. For more information go to Taxes: Social Security Number (SSN)

This information does not apply to J-1 student interns.