On-Campus Employment

You may work up to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters without written permission from International Student Services (ISS) or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). During winter, spring and summer breaks, you are allowed to work full-time, however, UA policy limits students to 35 hours per week during official breaks.

Upon initial entry to begin a new program, you may not begin on-campus employment more than 30 days prior to the first day of classes. If you are an incoming (SEVIS) transfer student, you may only engage in on-campus employment after receiving a new Form I-20 from the University of Arizona. 

Some off-campus locations are treated as on-campus sites if they are directly owned by the University of Arizona or have strong educational affiliation. If you are unsure whether your work site is considered on-campus, you should speak with an ISS advisor for clarification.

Your on-campus employment authorization ends on the end date of your I-20.

You are only eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) if you have on campus employment or authorization to work off campus. If you have on-campus employment, such as a student work position or graduate assistantship, International Student Services (ISS) will provide you a letter to take to Social Security Administration (SSA) to apply for your SSN. For more information go to Taxes: Social Security Number (SSN)