The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)

Posted: July 31, 2015

The Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) announced a new rule effective May 29, 2015, that increases opportunities to study for spouses and children of nonimmigrant F-1 students. F-2 spouses and children may enroll for less than a full course of study at a college, university or community college.

F-2 spouses and children are allowed to enroll in less than a "full course of study" at an SEVP-certifiedschool without violating their status, even if that part-time study eventually leads to a degree or certificate.  The University of Arizona defines less than a full course of study as:

F-2 Undergraduates: 11 units or less

F-2 Graduates: 8 units or less
                     2 units (if only registered in 900 level)
                     1 unit in Advanced Status is not allowed

If an F-2 dependent pursues a full course of study, this will result in a violation of status.  F-2 dependents are still prohibited from engaging in employment.

International Student Services welcomes this opportunity to introduce part-time study opportunities for F-2 dependents.  To find more information, visit the Study in the States webpage.  If you have any questions regarding this email, please contact International Student Services at  Also, visit us during advising hours to learn more.

Leaving for summer break? Here are 4 things you need to do before you go.

Posted: April, 2015

1. Enroll for fall
As an international student, you are required to enroll full-time to maintain your immigration status.  Register now before classes fill, and you can always swap later if you need to adjust your schedule.

2. Enroll for summer (if you're graduating in summer).
If you’re completing your degree requirements this summer, then you need to register for at least 1 in-person unit during your final summer term (doctoral students may be exempt).  If you were planning to complete your degree with all online classes, call ISS at (520) 621-4627 to schedule an appointment with an advisor now.

3. Prepare your documents for travel
Request a travel signature if you’re planning to travel outside the U.S. during the break.  You’ll need to hand-carry the following documents when you go through the U.S. Port of Entry:

I-20/DS-2019 with a valid travel signature (required)

Valid visa and passport (required)

I-901 SEVIS fee payment receipt (recommended)

Proof of financial support (recommended)

Proof of admission or fall enrollment at the University of Arizona, such as a transcript or a copy of your fall schedule (recommended)

Remember that if you return to the U.S. by plane, then you’ll be issued an electronic I-94 when you reenter. Print it from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

4. Report your address
Moving to a new house or apartment this summer? Don’t forget to update your UA Street Address in UAccess within 10 days of moving.   If you’re still looking for a place to live next fall, the offices of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing can help.

Glacier Tax Prep

Tax Assistance for International Students

Posted: March 2015

Important Deadlines: All international students who were present in the United States during the tax year January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014 must file a tax form by April 15, 2015 or June 15, 2015.

Nonresident Alien Students:
Generally, nonresident alien students with U.S. sourced income, such as salary or wages, scholarships or fellowships, prizes or awards, or dividends, are required to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. You are also required to attach Form 8843 with your 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ by April 15, 2015 or June 15, 2015.

  • Deadline April 15, 2015: If you were an employee and received salary and wages in 2014, the filing deadline is April 15, 2015.
  • Deadline June 15, 2015: if you did not receive salary or wages as an employee in 2014, the filing deadline is June 15, 2015.
  • If you do not have to file a tax return, you are still required to file Form 8843 by June 15, 2015.

Resident Alien Students:
If you are a resident alien for tax purpose, you are required to file form 1040 or 1040-EZ by April 15, 2015.

Resources for Tax Assistance:

  • Internal Revenue Service - 1-800-829-1040
  • Arizona Department of Revenue - 1-800-352-4090
  • International Student Services
  • Qwest Telephone Directory - search for Certified Public Accountants in Tucson

GLACIER Tax Prep: Tax preparation software, Form 8843, 1040 NR, and 1040 NR-EZ.  Free for UA International Students. Access GLACIER Tax Prep software via GLACIER.
If you do not have a GLACIER account, send your request to access GLACIER Tax Prep with your student ID number to International Student Services at

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center:
*Limited services available
*Unable to assist with preparation of tax returns.

Tucson Federal Building, 1st Floor, 300 W. Congress Street, Tucson, AZ 85701
Monday-Friday - 8:30am - 4:30pm
Telephone: (520) 670-4687


International Student Services & the Financial Services Office will provide assistance to your questions regarding how to log-in to GLACIER Tax Prep during computer labs offered at the University Services Building. GLACIER Tax Prep Log-in Assistance will be available during the following designated location and times:

Location: University Services Building (USB) Computer Lab Room 310
Friday, March 20: 1:00-2:30pm
Wednesday, March 25: 9:00-10:30am
Tuesday, March 31: 3:00-4:00pm

Monday, April 6: 10:00-11:30am
Friday, April 10: 8:30-10:00am
Tuesday, April 14: 8:30-10:00am

Walk in anytime during these sessions. Note that the sessions end promptly.

International Student Services, International Faculty and Scholars and the Financial Services Office are unable to provide personal assistance with the completion of tax forms. Please keep in mind that University of Arizona (UA) employees, while in their official role at the UA, are not allowed to act as tax consultants or provide tax advice. GLACIER Tax Prep will be provided to you for your convenience. You are not required to use GLACIER Tax Prep to prepare your U.S. federal income tax return. The University of Arizona does not provide tax advice and therefore disclaims all liability from the misinterpretation or misuse of GLACIER Tax Prep.

OPT Case Management Fee effective September 1, 2014

Posted: August 28, 2014

International Student Services provides international students with essential services, even after a student has completed their program of study.  For example, F-1 students that have graduated may continue to maintain their SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) status by receiving authorization for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) and 17 month extension of OPT.  International Student Advisors provide verbal and written advice through individual advising and workshops, as well as review and processing of I-20 documents for OPT.  Additionally, examples of our SEVIS reporting for graduates during period(s) of OPT include: employer name and address, start and end dates of employment, and early departure from the United States.

Additional options introduced by the Student Exchange Visitor Program, such as 17 month extension of optional practical training (OPT)* and H-1B Cap Gap Extension of Status**, have been positive for international students, but have simultaneously increased the amount of SEVIS reporting done by our office.  In order for our office to sustain institutional compliance responsibilities and provide quality service, it is necessary to institute case management fees for eligibility review and recommendation of post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) and 17 month extension of Optional Practical Training. 

OPT Fee (Post), Price: $75

OPT 17-month Extension, Price: $150

The OPT case management fee will be effective September 1, 2014.  Students requesting pre-completion OPT are not required to pay the case management fee.  Payment will be submitted to International Student Services through a web-based system accessible from the ISS OPT Case Management Fee page.

Please note, this fee does not replace a separate fee by USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) for filing the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization.

We are grateful to continue to provide international students with the highest level of support and service.  Thank you for choosing the University of Arizona!  We wish you the best academic success for the upcoming academic year.

Questions regarding this announcement should be directed to


Deborah Kuiken
Assistant Director, International Student Services
University of Arizona

* F-1 students who receive science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) degrees included on the STEM Designated Degree Program List, engaged in practical training with employers enrolled in E-Verify and who have received an initial grant of post-completion OPT employment authorization related to such a degree may apply for a one-time 17 month extension of this authorization.

** Automatic extension of F-1 student status in the United States for certain students with pending or approved H-1B petitions (indicating a request for change of status from F-1 to H-1B) for an employment start date of October 1st under the relevant Fiscal Year H-1B cap.

Subject: Important Message about the I-94

Dear International Students,

Please be aware that there is only one United States Government website for downloading an automated I-94.  This is the U.S. Government, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website:

Exercise caution when using internet search engines such as “” or “” to locate the CBP website for accessing an automated I-94.  The keywords “I-94” or “I 94” will provide search results for websites that appear to be official, but are not affiliated with the U.S. government.  Unofficial websites may advertise assistance from an attorney or may be titled “USA Immigration forms”.  However, only the CBP website will provide the actual admission number assigned to an individual after entering the United States.

Remember: international students must carry either a printout of the automated form I-94 or the paper I-94 in their personal possession at all times. Form I-94 serves as evidence of a lawful admission that is required by law.  The admission stamp in the passport of an individual admitted with an electronic I-94 also serves as evidence of registration for this purpose, but it may be more convenient to carry an I-94 print-out than the passport.

For detailed information regarding the I-94, visit the CBP website:

If you have any questions regarding this email, please contact International Student Services at


Deborah Kuiken
Assistant Director, International Student Services
University of Arizona